Blog Archive

Thursday, October 6, 2011

WARM UPS IN CLASSES: Most of the time in my Communicative Classes, we are required to use warm ups every time we start a class. Sometimes I feel it is a waste of time, but at the end it helps me to have most of my students attention and interest in the class.

Why do we do warm ups in classes? maybe you  can give me reasons. One of the first reasons I have found is that in this way I can see what attitude the student has that day, how does she or he feel before beginning my class? how do they use English in real situation? these questions and answers I found during warm ups, and most of my students like it.

I hope you can give me more reasons, thanks

The warm up gets students into "English mode." 

http://ezinearticles.com/?Five-Reasons-for-Effective-Warm-Ups&id=682716








3 comments:

  1. Hello, may I call you Yariela? I am Masa in Japan. I am interested in your clarifying what warming-up is. I agree with your reasons and do not think warming-up is a waste of time. Without a warming up, students would feel as if they were thrown into a swimming pool without any warming-up exercise.

    I always have a warming-up whenever I have a class. Here let me add one of my reasons.
    It is because we have to create an atmosphere of learning a foreign language. More concretely, it is a time to change not only languages but cultures including non-verbal communications such as gestures. I usually spend a bit more time in warming-up when I have communication classes. It really works well to have my students feel as if they were in different world.

    What do you think about my reason?
    I do look forward to your reply.

    Best wishes,
    Masa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course Mesafumi ,you can call me Yariela,

    Thanks for your example of showing me the importance of warm ups in classes. I think that in order to set an environment for an ESL class. I am taking that model too. to change cultures that involves human beings.

    I agree with you and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yariela,
    Yes, before we start every class we have to do warm - ups. I think that it helps also the teachers to create a nice atmosphere before the beginning of classes. There are different warm - up activities for reading, writing, speaking and listening. According to an article that I've read in http://www.ehow.com/, warm-ups help students to get the most of your class.
    And, I think that's what we most as teachers wish.

    Warm regards from Kosovo,
    Blerta

    ReplyDelete